Dr. Steven Shu, MD, MBA
Dr. Shu is a board certified laser surgeon and a procedure expert, specializing in office based medical and cosmetic procedures and surgeries. He provides a wide range of cosmetic procedural and surgical services above and beyond typical aesthetic medicine and performs numerous office procedures every year. On top of his clinical work, Dr. Shu was an Assistant Professor at the University of Minnesota medical school from 2007 to 2012, teaching weekly office procedures to resident physicians, and he is also on the medical staff at Southdale Hospital, North Memorial Hospital, and Fairview Medical Center.
After graduating in 1984 from the distinguished Shanghai Medical University, Dr. Shu completed his surgical residency and worked as a surgical attending physician until arriving in the United States in 1991. After completing a surgical internship at Flushing Hospital in New York, he followed up with office-procedure-orientated residency training at Michigan State University from 1996 to 2000. He obtained his Physician E-MBA from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville in 2005.
Dr. Shu is board-certified through the American Board of Laser Surgery and American Board of Family Practice; he is a member of the following professional organizations:
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- Cosmetic Medicine Affiliate Member
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- American College of Phlebology
- American Society of Cosmetic Breast Surgery
- International Society of Cosmetogyncology
- American Medical Association
- Minnesota Medical Association
Dr. Shu has continued his advanced education in cosmetic surgeries over the years, having trained with many of the nation’s top cosmetic and plastic surgeons. As a pioneer in office cosmetic surgeries in the United States, he has adopted countless revolutionary techniques to achieve ideal results with more efficiency and safety.
Dr. Shu is the first physician in Minnesota to perform the following cosmetic procedures and surgeries:
- Stem Cell Enhanced Natural Breast Augmentation, personally trained under the inventor, Dr. Todd Malan at the Innovative Cosmetic Surgery Center in Scottsdale, AR.
- Vaser Hi Def™ Body LipoSculpture, personally trained by the inventor, Dr. Alfredo Hoyos, along with Dr. John Millard, and David Broadway at the Advanced Body Sculpting Institute in Colorado).
- Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation® and Designer Laser Vaginoplasty®, personally trained under the inventor, Dr. David Matlock at the Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Institute of America in Beverly Hills, California
- Breast cosmetic surgeries under local anesthesia and IV sedation, personally trained under Drs. Marco Pelosi III at the International Society of Cosmetogyncology in Bayonne, NJ.
- IDEAL Breast Lift™ for Augmentation/Mastopexy, personally trained under the inventor, Dr. Ted Eisenberg at the East Coast Center for Cosmetic Breast Surgery, Philadelphia, PA
Dr. Shu was also professionally trained in the following areas:
- Blepharoplasty and Advanced Periorbital Rejuvenation, personally trained by Dr. Susan Hughes at the Hughes Center for Aesthetic Medicine in Cherry Hill, NJ.
- Aesthetic Breast Surgery and Abdominoplasty, personally trained by Robert Jackson in Hamilton Surgical Arts, Indianapolis, IN
- Aesthetic Eyelid and Facial Rejuvenation, personally trained by Dr. Robert Goldberg, Catherine Hwang, and other faculty in Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA.
- Cosmetic Surgery of the Breast, Face/Neck & Abdomen, personally trained by Dr. Angelo Cuzalina, James Koehler at the Tulsa Surgical Arts, Tulsa, OK.
Outside the office, Dr. Shu dedicates his time to community activism. After forming the Minnesota Chinese Physician Association (AMCP) in 2003, he led its members and community volunteers in establishing the Minnesota Chinese Health Center (MCHC), a free clinic for disadvantaged Chinese in the Twin Cities. He is also publisher of Minnesota Times, the most widely circulated Chinese newspaper in Minnesota. Moreover, he established One Stop Charity Fund in his clinic in 2010 to support the non-profit organizations in the Chinese community.